There’s nothing quite like a good quiche. Have it for breakfast. Have it for lunch. Have it for dinner. Have it at 2 am in your sweatpants just because you feel like it. You know I’d never judge you. It’s a wonderful invention, this quiche thing. And a vegetarian quiche for Meatless Monday? All the better.
Since I am a lover of all things squash, this pumpkin quiche is especially pleasing to me. Pumpkin has so many wonderful applications outside of bread and cake and pie (recipe coming soon!). Like just about any other squash, pumpkin can be great in savory things too. Case in point — today’s pumpkin quiche. It’s prepared simply with chili powder, salt, and pepper. The texture is nice and light, but the dish is still incredibly filling. It’s crazy good for you — besides all that scrumptious pumpkin, there’s plenty of spinach and corn in there as well.
This pumpkin quiche recipe meets all the Kamille-cooking requirements: simple, healthy, and tasty. Here it is!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 oz frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin
- 1 cup egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- chili powder, black pepper, and salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic and onions. When the onions soften, set the onions and garlic aside in a large mixing bowl. Add the frozen spinach to the pan; break up the spinach and cook it until it’s just heated through. Remove the pan from heat. Pour off any excess moisture and add the spinach to the bowl with the onions and garlic.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (frozen corn, cottage cheese, pumpkin, and egg substitute) to the bowl. Stir until well combined. Season to taste with chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray and pour the mixture into the bowl. Bake until the quiche is set and lightly browned on top — about 1 hour. Serve warm.
- Per 1/4 (as an entrée)
- Calories: 127 | Total Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 386mg | Total Carbohydrates: 18.8g | Dietary Fiber: 5.4g | Sugars: 7.0g | Protein: 14.2g
- Per 1/8 (as a side dish)
- Calories: 64 | Total Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 193mg | Total Carbohydrates: 9.4g | Dietary Fiber: 2.7g | Sugars: 3.5g | Protein: 7.1g