I have some version of this strawberry salad for lunch almost every day. I love salads like this for a couple of reasons.
1. Size matters: This thing is ENORMOUS. It’s not some piddling side salad that will leave you feeling even hungrier than you were before you ate. This is a salad mountain, my friends. After this meal, you’ll feeling full and satisfied — not deprived.
2. Looks matter too: Honestly, what a gorgeous meal. You’ll get compliments on it, I promise. And guess what? Those colorful veggies aren’t just pretty. All those beautiful colors mean nutrients. This strawberry salad will do nothing but good things for you.
3. Simple and convenient: Like I said earlier, I make a salad like this for lunch every day. I’m a working woman, so that means I have to make it travel. It’s super easy. In the morning, I toss the dressing ingredients together in a little bottle. I put the mixed greens in one container and the chopped vegetables in another. Done and done. When I get hungry, I plate it. It doesn’t get much easier (or cheaper!) than that.
I really like this version because the strawberries and chopped almonds make the salad just a little bit special. In spite of the cold weather, it makes me feel like spring is just around the corner. The lemon-basil dressing is the perfect complement to the flavors of the salad. It’s bright and clean and subtly sweet — just the thing for those juicy strawberries.
Here’s the recipe.
- 3 cups spring mix
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 4 strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 baby carrots, julienned
- 2 mini bell peppers, julienned
- 5 raw almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- your favorite sweetener, to taste
- Place the mixed greens on a large plate. Layer the chopped vegetables over the greens, and top with the almonds. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad. Enjoy!
- Salad, no dressing
- Servings: 1 | Calories: 113 | Total Fat: 3.0g | Trans Fat: 0.0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 79mg | Total Carbohydrates: 16.7g | Dietary Fiber: 4.9g | Sugars: 7.3g | Protein: 5.5g
- Dressing, per ~2 tablespoons
- Servings: 2 | Calories: 13 | Total Fat: 1.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1mg | Total Carbohydrates: 0.9g | Protein: 0.1g