This recipe really takes me back. These oven-fried chicken drumsticks are one of the first things I made when I decided to cook healthy food for myself. Before I discovered these drumsticks, my weekly dinners were a sad rotation of frozen meals and boring romaine salads. The drumsticks changed everything. They were the proof I needed that I could make tasty, healthy food at home.
I made these yesterday for the first time in ages and knew I had to share them. They’re cooked in the oven instead of deep-fried in tons of oil, but they’re still plenty delicious. The drumsticks turn a beautiful golden brown: crunchy on the outside, tender and moist on the inside.
Boil some sweet corn, make a small salad, throw a pair of drumsticks on your plate, and you’re in business. It’s perfect for a Sunday night supper on the back porch. The drumsticks are also great for breakfast: have one with a little maple syrup and a sweet bagel for a protein-packed treat.
Credit to Lisa Lillien (aka Hungry Girl) for the secret to the healthy breading — see my version of the recipe after the jump!
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 tablespoons egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1 cup whole grain, high fiber cereal (like Fiber One)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a large baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Place the egg substitute in a small bowl. Next, prepare the breading: combine the cereal and all of the spices in a food processor. Pulse until the cereal reaches the consistency of bread crumbs. Adjust the seasonings to taste, and place the breading in a large bowl.
- Dip each drumstick in the egg substitute and shake off any excess. Roll the drumsticks in the breading and arrange them in the prepared baking dish. Cook in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through. Serve warm, and enjoy!
- Per drumstick
- Servings: 8 | Calories: 100 | Total Fat: 2.9 g | Saturated Fat: 0.7 g | Cholesterol: 41 mg | Sodium: 88 mg | Total Carbohydrates: 5.8 g | Dietary Fiber: 2.8 g | Protein: 14.5 g